When I am looking at websites, those with the catchiest names are the ones that I remember more. Believe it or not, the domain name is equally important to the content itself because it gives your visitors a lasting impression that can make or break your chances of making them return or revisit your website in the future.
In the first place, the domain name is the first thing that your readers must know about the website so that it can be accessed right away. With millions of websites within the same niche and hundreds of others based in the Philippines, you should stand out in every single way that you can. One way of doing this is by choosing the best domain name for your Philippine website.
But how will you do this? I will make an attempt to help you out in finding the best name of your domain.
The following are the basic qualities of a domain name:
- It should be short and simple.
- The domain name should be unique.
- The website name should have a stand-alone meaning; not an arbitrary one.
- As much as possible, spell your domain name correctly.
- The name, as much as possible, should explain a bit of what the website is about.
Of course, these basic rules can be manipulated depending on the situation. If you have a very good reason, then you may proceed even if you will have to violate some of these rules.
If you are having a hard time coming up with one, you can always register many names at the same time. This will be helpful in framing your domain’s name. The following advanced tips will help you survive the naming game:
- As much as possible, acquire domains from the top level. Top level domains include .net, .com, .org, and .biz. This adds credibility to your domain name. At the same time, it makes your website name easier to remember.
- Do your visitors a favor – make your domain name memorable. When you succeed in doing this, you are doing your business a big favor, too. Of course, you can always coin out words that bear no meaning but are catchy, too.
- It will be easier for you and your visitors if you keep your domain name short and simple. Acquiring a domain name from a local dialect in the Philippines will be helpful as well if your target audience is from the Philippines.
- Do not confuse your target audience. As much as possible, you should not cast a single doubt. For example, you might want to avoid favour.com because it might be spelled by visitors as favor.com, which might refer to another website.
- The domain name should have a semblance of the nature of your business. This way, your visitors will know right away that you mean business.
- As a rule of thumb, it might be helpful in the promotion of your brand if you will be using the brand name itself as the name of your domain. This way, your brand and your website will mutually benefit from the correlation.
With these, you will have a better idea on what domain name to acquire and eventually use as the name of your website.