Starting your own niche website can help bring you the financial independence you’ve always dreamed of. Whatever your field of interest is, no matter how seemingly marginal, there are probably millions of people all over the world who share it. By setting up a website, you can reach these people and build a loyal following. Eventually you can monetize your site by accepting advertising for it and perhaps even start a business related to your niche. Here is how you can become successful with your niche website.
- Check to see how much competition you actually have in your niche. One way you can do this is to write down some search terms related to your niche and use the Google Keyword Tool to see how searched they are on Google. If they are too high competition, then your interest may not be niche enough and you could face high competition for it. On the other hand, you also don’t want it to be too low since it suggests that interest in your niche is marginal.
- Once you’ve determined that your niche is viable, you can set up your website. You should also invest in registering a domain name for it that reflects the niche, such as myspecialinterest.com. You may also need to invest in paid hosting to ensure the viability of your niche website. However, investing in hosting and a domain name should not cost you that much money.
- Instead of a full website, you can start with a blog. There are actually a lot of advantages to making your niche website a blog, such as the ease of updating content as well as the ability to embed videos on your blog posts. And it won’t cost you anything to start although you may have to pay to get your chosen domain name.
- Start filling up your niche website with useful content, such as how-to’s and tips. And you can also include videos among your content since these have become increasingly popular among web surfers.
- Make your site search engine friendly by using relevant keywords on it. Make a list of fifty keywords/key phrases related to your niche and use the Google Keyword Tool to see how much competition you have for them. Use these keywords in the blog posts on your site as well as the Meta tags. For videos, place the keywords in the video description.
- Ensure that your site is being indexed by Google. One way you can do this is by going to the Google Webmaster Tools site and typing in the URL of your site onto the Add Site field on the site map page.
- Update your content regularly. At the minimum, you should have new content on your site at least once a week.
- Drive traffic to your website. Apart from making your site SEO-friendly, you should find other ways to promote it. One way is by submitting articles to an article directory site with a back link to your site in the resource box. You can also promote your site on social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter. And using these sites will help build up your brand as an authority in your niche.