Who doesn’t want fame, glory, and fortune? Many entrepreneurs in the Philippines would do everything just so they could have all the power influencers and celebrities have, with masses of people following and fawning at their feet.
If you’ve been dreaming about becoming an hotshot in real life… well, why not try to be an internet celebrity—a hotshot in social media circles, instead? (e.g. Like Amalayer? Lol :D)
When you have charmed your audience, they’d be fawning all over you! Your status updates and selfies will be viewed by people you’ve never even met! Thousands of people would give you a virtual high-five over an anecdote you shared; they would be waiting to find out what you had for dinner, or what you think about Vice Ganda’s latest shenanigans.
The best part about it? It’s infinitely easier to gain online fame and social media influence. All you need is patience, consistency, and a marketable image.
Wait, A Marketable Whaaattt?
You see, influence is powerful. Influence can dissuade crowds, or have them rally under your command (Like the One Million People March). Influence can turn tides into or against your favor. Influence can sometimes turn black into white. In social media networking sites, a person’s influence can greatly affect the online population, as social media is, in itself, a powerful tool for disseminating information, whether this information be the whole truth or half lies. In that instant, the person who holds social media influence has both the truth and lies in the palm of their hands.
That kind of power will require a little bit more effort to obtain, though. Any person with a working keyboard and a connection to the internet can ask for fame and attention, but only a select few can actually receive it. Influence isn’t something you can simply ask for and expect to receive—influence is created. You have to be able to stir the audience into your direction, or to have them sway their thoughts and feelings to that of yours. You have to be able to connect with them on a personal level. That rapport, that personal (and sometimes, even intimate) connection with your audience is what will separate you from any other person with a working keyboard hollering for attention on the internet. That connection will make you seem real.
Take it from the hotshots themselves…
A good way to have a firm grasp of how to approach and attack the social media strategies is to look at those who’ve already done it.
Take a look at some of the most influential people on social networking sites these days, and then try and learn a bit on how they manage to gain influence and success. It would be a good idea to try and look into a person who’s influential in the same field as yours, but if you’re such a hipster—oh, alright… a trendsetter—and would like to create a new fandom by bringing up an entirely new topic or field, you could still learn a thing or two just by reading up on these influential persons. How did they start? What kind of problems did they encounter? How did they attack each of those problems to come out on top? You know—the usual questions.
Chances are, you already know what it takes to become a social media success—you’re just not convinced of doing them yourself. However, if you’re one of those people who actually have no clue on what to do or how to go at it, you might really benefit from reading their bios.
So, aside from developing a marketable image, what do those people have in common?
- Character – They have a strong set of characteristics/skills – such as the ability to inspire or make people laugh. They’re passionate in what they do.
- Niche Audience – They’re widely known in a specific industry or have a loyal community of raging fans and followers. Even the rich and famous trusts them.
- Credibility – They have in-depth knowledge of their niche; They know what they’re talking about. Their online/offline content has solid quality.
- Engagement – They’re highly social, they reach out, build relationships and interact with people.
5 SIMPLE WAYS TO TRANSFORM TO A SOCIAL MEDIA INFLUENCER
Being an INFLUENCER takes time and practice. It’s long road of boulders and rivers – there may be a probable shortcut or two, but aside from that it will always be the hard way. Here are several tidbits of wisdom you can use.
What’s your passion? What thing in life would you like to be an expert? It would be much easier to create content if your niche is your existing hobby, skill or job. If it is not, then you have a long way to go. Start by studying the general niche, the history, the basics – and anything related to it. Learn the rules of the game – then break it!
Now you know everything, the next thing is your brand. What’s going to be your image when you present yourself to the public? Do you have a preferred speaking style? Will you wear a costume? Remember, a creative brand will present something fresh to your target audience. Choose something that will create an impact.
This is the hardest part of an Influencer’s journey. You will need to publish good content – and what I mean by good, is really good! Think how you can contribute in your industry. Choose which channel you’ll publish – Youtube, WordPress, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Slideshare? The possibilities are endless.
Some types of content you can produce:
- Slide Presentations
The next thing you need to do after publishing a series of your content, is to connect and interact!
- Join social media groups related to your industry (Facebook Groups, Google+ Hangouts, etc.)
- Answer questions in forums and other online communities (Ask.com, Yahoo Answers, Quora)
- Create an event and promote it online (Meetup, Eventbrite, Facebook Event)
- Do guestblogging
- Follow companies, marketing people, and other influencers in your niche
- Build your email list
- Meet your social media contacts in real life and exchange business cards, establish a relationship.
So you have your niche, brand, content and audience…. everyone is waiting to hear the next big thing from you. Now all you have to do is break the barrier to finally become an influencer. This is the trickiest part.
Create a wild idea or project – and you need to make it viral. Always remember that you brand must still be visible in your big step.
Here are just some ideas:
- Set or Break a Guinness World Record (Don’t forget that it must still be related to your niche!)
- Launch a Cause or Campaign (P.S. Be helpful and sincere!)
- Create a Viral Video (That evokes emotions!)
- Do Newsjacking (Ride the story and connect your brand!)
- Publish a free mobile app (That is really useful!)
- Create flash mobs, stunts or pranks (Flash Mobs are not just for dancing. Google it.)
- Gamify or launch a contest (And make it fun!)
- Bust a myth / Solve a problem
- Create an in-depth, share-worthy, Infographic, Meme or Presentation (Then share it through Pinterest, 9GAG or Slideshare)
Always remember that you must make your IDEA Contagious!
So, there you have it. Creating a powerful influence online is just the start of your journey. What matters most is maintaining your reputation as it can be quite fragile that a wrong endorsement or tactless post could destroy it. Influence comes both ways — positive and negative. If you’re so good at being despicable, you might even end up creating another side of influence for yourself.
The only question that remains is, what kind of influence would you like to have on people?